The School of Communication Studies (COMS) online application process for current Ohio University students is open throughout the year.
We encourage you to read the information on this website before completing the application form. If there are specific questions that are unanswered after reviewing this website, please make an appointment to meet with Dr. Jerry Miller, Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies. Appointments are scheduled by speaking with Krissy McKinley in Schoonover Center 421 or by calling 740-593-4842.
Students interested in applying to the School of Communication Studies during this term are encouraged to attend a New Major Information Session:
- Tuesdays: 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. & 4:00-5:00 p.m. in 424 Schoonover, February 4, 11, 18, 25
The School of Communication Studies reviews applications as follows:
- You must be in good academic standing (2.0 overall cumulative GPA or higher) at the time of application. Applying with the minimum GPA does not guarantee acceptance;
- If the semester you apply is your first-semester at OU, you do not need to show a minimum GPA from OU;
- You must submit a 300-word essay explaining why you want to becomes a COMS major (i.e., what a degree in COMS can provide);
- Your application must include COMS What-If Dars report (PDF);
- The online application form is open throughout the year with decisions announced monthly at the first of each month, September-May. Applications received after May 1 and before August 31 (summer applications) are reviewed in August with announcements no later than September 1.
- New admits are required to attend a COMS information session to complete a Change of Major form and advising.