- Attend all Scripps College Colloquia
- Attend Colloquia across Campus Related to Your Area of Interest
- Submit Conference Papers to NCA, Regional Conferences, or Specialty/Boutique Conferences
Many students submit their Fall term papers to conferences during the Spring of the first year, their Spring term papers to conferences in the next Fall term, and so on so that there is almost always a paper under review for a conference.
Many students choose to start with submissions to the Student Section of NCA during Spring term of the first year, then to a topical division at a regional conference during Fall term of the second year, and then rotate submissions between topical divisions at NCA and regionals
Many faculty recommend that you present no more than two papers at any given conference.
Many faculty believe that, if you are presenting more than four papers per year, it is time to move into the third step.
- Write and Submit a Book Review
- Research Funding Opportunities to Support Dissertation Research
- Examine Fellowships like the Fulbright, the FLAS award, and others that provide support for research development
- Revise Conference Papers and Submit to Appropriate Journals
Fourth Steps and Beyond
- Apply to Relevant Funding Sources
- Revise and Resubmit Journal Submissions as Available
See other ideas:
Ideas to enhance teaching experience | Ideas to enhance research/creative activity experience | Ideas to enhance academic service experience | Ideas to prepare for entering governmental or intergovernmental service | Ideas to prepare for work in non-profit organizations